Monday, October 24, 2011

Book Review: Nourish & Strengthen


I have amazing friends. Smart, talented and gorgeous friends. There's no wonder I often feel a little inadequate about myself. I am surrounded with smart, talented, gorgeous people. If you're reading this blog, you're probably one of the ones I look up to, so thanks. Really, thanks.

One of those nice, smart, talented, organized and gorgeous people let me read/review her book. Yeah, she wrote a book.  And I love to read. It was a match made in heaven.

  

BOOK SYNOPSIS: Chloe Taylor has the perfect life: a model's figure, a husband who adores her, three healthy children. So why does she feel so much less than perfect?

After losing forty pounds, Chloe Taylor is finally happy with her body. What she doesn't realize is that she's not the one in control. When Chloe is called as the Primary president, she discovers that managing the highs and lows of a chronic illness may be easier than the ups and downs associated with family, friends, and church callings. Consumed by her own challenges, Chloe fails to recognize the issues her friends are facing and is in danger of losing their friendship. As Chloe strives to develop Christ-like love for herself and those around her, she learns that outer appearances are far less important than inner peace and spiritual strength. But is she strong enough to face her most difficult trial yet?

Nourish & Strengthen was as easy a read, and as intriguing to me, as the Hunger Games or Twilight series' but I came away smarter and better (which I can't really say from those other books).  I downloaded it to my phone and had the laziest two days of my life. Yes, two days. I stayed in my pajamas until the kids got home from school. I couldn't put it down. I usually have to read books in 5 minute spurts between chores and other obligations. There were no 5 minute spurts while reading this book.

One of the best things about this book is that it's clean. Absolutely clean. There's nothing I wouldn't want my mom or kids to read. It's written by an LDS author; it talks about church, but it's about relationships and life...and reality.  Added bonus, if you're not LDS and you don't know some of our lingo, there is a glossary to help out with unknown terms.

Click here if you'd like to read the official synopsis. You can also purchase the ebook from that site, the Kindle edition here at Amazon, or go here for a paperback copy at a great price.


If you want to learn more about Maria, (you know, the smart, talented, gorgeous author of this book, who happens to be my friend), check out her blog.


3 comments:

i'm erin. said...

Sounds like a good read. Thanks for the tip.

Maria Hoagland said...

Thank you so much, Brooke! I think the best compliment was that you read it in two days :) You made my day!

Brimaca said...

Cant' wait to read it!