Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mean Mom

After spending a week, or so, being the world's lousiest mom, I decided something had to change. I either had to get rid of all four kids and become an old hag with 57 birds in her house (so not an option) or I had to try to be a better, more patient, more kind, more understanding, more hip mom (yes, those were my options).

So, last night I put one of my children to bed at 7 p.m. (he needed it, trust me), followed by another at 7:30 p.m. (she also was pushing her luck), and the lucky two (who must be most loved, of course) made it just before 9 p.m. Personally I was hoping for 7 p.m. for all four, but that doesn't work when you're campaigning for the world's most hip mom.

Then today, after making breakfast (german pancakes, their favorite) I made their lunches. They lovingly left them on the table. I lovingly walked to school with thing 1 and thing 2 to eat with things 3 and 4. Somehow all of this qualifies me to be cool with everyone but things 1 & 2 who were now mad that they could not stay at school the rest of the day.

Something about really making the effort to be nicer, and more patient, and more kind, and more understanding, has really worked today. Thing 1 has eaten both meals today with limited coaxing needed. Thing 1 & thing 2 both willingly laid down for their naps after walking to and from the school. Thing 3 & thing 4 both thought I should win "Mother of the Year" for cooking their favorite breakfast, and for the loving little note tucked into their lunchboxes, oh and for bringing their lunches to them on the day no one eats school lunch. (seriously, any other day I'd let them eat school lunch, but Wednesdays...never).

So, I think I should now formally announce my candidacy for "2011 - Most understanding/kind/patient/loving/nurturing/hip Mom of the Year". If I don't announce now, tomorrow could be too late. How long can I really keep this up?

3 comments:

Sandee said...

Answer: forever. lol Looks like you found a way to Cael to eat. lol You're a great mom everyday...I mean..you're raising twins. That's a task in and of itself. Highly respect you. :)

Cindy said...

Funny, I think you've won that title over and over and over again...you don't give yourself enough credit. Um...if you want to see mean, grumpy, short-tempered, etc.. just come spend a few minutes at my house!! Thanks for your inspiration, I'm resolving to do better (at least for today!)

Karen S. said...

You would also have felt better at my house Tuesday. After my surgery I was supposed to keep my feet up.. yeah, right. Clint worked from home yesterday so he could help if needed. That meant I called him downstairs when lunch and supper were ready. Lyndon of course came home from school sick and throwing up (Clint did come downstairs once to help with that too). Ashtyn I think is teething and Charlotte was just super whiny because she wasn't getting the attention she felt like she deserved. AND the mosquitoes are SO BAD you can't go outside. The highlight of my day? When I actually threatened my 4 yr old if she didn't stop crying/screaming for no reason I was going to put her in the backyard. In my defense, she stopped. =) Yeah, I'm pretty sure I won some kind of award too.