Thursday, October 3, 2013

Homeschooling 101

This year could have been the first year in the last 13 that I could have my days to myself. All of my kids were school age. Every single one of them.


In years past I looked forward to this year. I could exercise, develop hobbies, visit with friends, clean the house or go back to sleep...all after I sent the husband to work and the kids to school. I thought of all the ways I could use my me time. And how involved I could be at the schools. How clean my house would be. How rested I would be!

Then I made the decision to homeschool the three littles. This wasn't a spontaneous decision. If you know me, at all, you know I've been looking at this as an option for years. I've been researching and talking about this for a long time. I finally bit the bullet and did it. And it's been worth it ever since. 

It's worth the stress, the cost, the time, the dirtier house, and the lack of "me" time. Because I get to spend the days with my kids. Helping them learn and grow and developing their minds. If it was more feasible I'd be doing Lincoln too, but he's so involved in extra-curricular activities in school that I can't justify pulling him out.

It's more expensive, and it's more time intensive for preparation. But the fact that I know what's going into my kids heads, and I know that our school day is about 3 hours versus 8, and I know that I can break for additional discussions, and I know I can bring in our religious beliefs, and I know that they're developing good relationships with themselves and their friends (who also homeschool), and I know that they're getting important subjects like PE and music and art...it's all worth the extra time and money.


2 comments:

Slim said...

You are an amazing mama! Your mom gave me a bit of an update when we saw her the night she went into the MTC. You are inspiring!!!

Corinne Baird said...

Good for you lady!! It's awesome when we know we can do what we need to for our kids. . . whatever that may be.